Programming Android, 2nd Edition
Speed you up on Android programming, how to create up-to-date user experiences for both SmartPhones and tablets. With this book's extensively revised second edition, you'll focus on Android tools and programming essentials, including best practices for using Android 4 APIs.
Programming Android is organized into four parts:
- Part One helps programmers with some Java or iOS experience get off to a fast start with the Android SDK and Android programming basics.
- Part Two delves into the Android framework, focusing on user interface and graphics class hierarchies, concurrency, and databases. It's a solid foundation for understanding of how the most important parts of an Android application work.
- Part Three features code skeletons and patterns for accelerating the development of apps that use web data and Android 4 user interface conventions and APIs.
- Part Four delivers practical coverage of Android's multimedia, search, location, sensor, and account APIs, plus the Native Development Kit, enabling developers to add advanced capabilities.
This updated edition of Programming Android focuses on the knowledge and developer priorities that are essential for successful Android development projects.
- Part I: Tools and Basics
- Chapter 1. Installing the Android SDK and Prerequisites
- Chapter 2. Java for Android
- Chapter 3. The Ingredients of an Android Application
- Chapter 4. Getting Your Application into Users’ Hands
- Chapter 5. Eclipse for Android Software Development
- Part II: About the Android Framework
- Chapter 6. Building a View
- Chapter 7. Fragments and Multiplatform Support
- Chapter 8. Drawing 2D and 3D Graphics
- Chapter 9. Handling and Persisting Data Part
- III: A Skeleton Application for Android
- Chapter 10. A Framework for a Well-Behaved Application
- Chapter 11. Building a User Interface
- Chapter 12. Using Content Providers
- Chapter 13. A Content Provider as a Facade for a RESTful Web Service
- Part IV: Advanced Topics
- Chapter 14. Search
- Chapter 15. Location and Mapping
- Chapter 16. Multimedia
- Chapter 17. Sensors, NFC, Speech, Gestures, and Accessibility
- Chapter 18. Communication, Identity, Sync, and Social Media
- Chapter 19. The Android Native Development Kit (NDK)