Pro SharePoint 2013 App Development
SharePoint 2013 Server and SharePoint Online provide an entirely new model for developing enterprise solutions called the Cloud App Model. This style of application is architected to run in a hosted environment without unduly impacting the host servers. This provides for levels of scalability and reliability that were difficult, or impossible, to achieve using SharePoint’s previous models that included full-trust and sandboxed solutions. Pro SharePoint 2013 App Development contains the techniques for delivering advanced solutions on the SharePoint 2013 platform. Using step-by-step tutorials, the reader creates and elaborates on a sample SharePoint app throughout the course of the book. Once complete, the developer will be ready to tackle even the most demanding SharePoint apps with confidence. In this book, we will cover the following points:
- We will introduce the Cloud App Model architecture for creating and hosting SharePoint apps.
- We will walk through the creation and deployment of a complete solution.
- We will examine the security features of the SharePoint app model.
- We will learn to leverage SharePoint data in our apps over the network, securely.
- We will learn to utilize search and other SharePoint services to create rich SharePoint solutions.
- We will explore how to use these techniques to deliver data on a multitude of web and mobile platforms.
This book is intended for developers and IT professionals responsible for delivering solutions on the SharePoint 2013 platform. These solutions may run on-site, in the cloud, or in a hybrid deployment across many locations. We will provide the background and step-by-step introduction needed to create massively scalable SharePoint applications using standard tools such as Visual Studio, and web standards such as HTML and JQuery. Once created, SharePoint apps can be deployed internally or sold through the Microsoft SharePoint Store across the Internet. The objective is to empower organizations to create a new generation of web-based applications on the SharePoint platform. SharePoint enables both on-site and cloud-based deployments of mission-critical business applications, using all of the same tools and technologies, regardless of the environment. Using modern web standards for user interfaces, data access, and most important, security, SharePoint apps can safely break down the wall between internal data and external customers.
The book is designed to introduce each technique in the order necessary for each solution to build on the ones that have come before. In some cases, it may be necessary to use a technique before we have discussed it fully. In these cases, we will try to convey the necessary information and refer the reader to the later section.
- Introduction to SharePoint Apps
- Creating and Deploying an App
- Managing the App Lifecycle
- Creating Client Side Logic using JQuery
- SharePoint App Security
- Business Connectivity Services
- Web Service Access with REST and OData
- Accessing the SharePoint Environment
- App Logic Components
- Developing the User Experience
- Using SharePoint Search
- Using SharePoint’s Social Features
- Accessing SharePoint Service Applications
- Interacting with Other App Environments
Steve Wright, is a senior manager in the Business Information Management practice for Sogeti USA in Omaha, Nebraska. Over the last 25 years, Steve has worked on air traffic control, financial, insurance, and a multitude of other types of systems. He enjoys writing, speaking at user group meetings and MSDN events, and holds over 45 Microsoft certifications. Steve has authored and performed technical reviews for several previous titles covering Microsoft products, including SharePoint, Access, Windows, SQL Server, and BizTalk Server. For the past several years, he has focused on building highly customized SharePoint solutions for business intelligence.